Saturday, June 16, 2012

Living Below the Line - Day 5

Nicole here again! Speaking to you from the comfort of Saturday, the day after my last day of the challenge. All I can say is that I have had 1.5 cups of coffee so far today and I am SO EXCITED to share my every thought with you right now! WEEE!

Note the lady hammer: I got a LOT done today!

How did I do? Well, I caved last night and gave up and ate some leftovers. However, I am still REALLY proud of myself.

I managed to go without coffee AND chocolate for 5 days. When I signed up for this challenge it never occurred to me that I would be able to do that. That alone is an accomplishment.


Me yesterday on the last day of the challenge.

I also did not snack at all in front of the TV. I had my three paltry meals a day and that was that. This is very out of character for someone who is never without a box of Teddy Grahams or a delicious chunk of Ghiardelli when I watch my evening stories.

A typical Tuesday night.

I also have a confession to make - I did take random handouts. A chip here... and yes, a slice of pizza. So sue me. I am proud to say that I only spent $1.69 on food for the week, and made do with stuff I already had in my cabinets and freezer: rice (cheap, I'm sure), ramen (40 cents), oatmeal packet (29 cents), and frozen peas (25 cents worth) for whole week.


Some of my 1 lb bag of beans and leftover rice.

It's like I'm in college again!

This is unprecedented. I usually spend between $7 and $15 for lunch in Midtown, which can go up to $50-$60 a week on lunch alone. So this was a great opportunity for me to not be so lazy, be creative, and appreciate the food I already have. And I must say, I actually enjoyed this lunch of beans and frozen peas with a free packet of soy sauce sprinkled in it:

I might actually eat this again!

No one is perfect. However, I do believe I maintained the spirit of this challenge and came through with a great perspective. You learned my heavy epiphanies after Day 4, which led to the aforementioned transgressions. Some may call it lack of will power, I call it righteous indignation, sprinkled with a lack of willpower.

Yes, I think it's unrealistic to expect someone, especially a spoiled First World Brat such as myself, not to take free food. You may disagree but I say, forget your pride, forget your noble attitude; it's perfectly okay to ask for help. I realize in some developing nations, resources such as food banks and soup kitchens do not necessarily exist and that we are very privileged to have both a supportive government and a stunning array of non-profit agencies at our disposal. In our country, and especially in NYC, there is no reason anyone should go hungry. Help is available. See previous blog posts! That means throw your money at any charity that feeds your fellow humans, both in the US and abroad. No one deserves to go hungry.




So what do I feel? Accomplished, a little guilty, but most of all LUCKY. I did not grow up extremely privileged. I was raised by a single mother, and for a large part of my childhood, lived with my grandparents. I never suffered, never went hungry, or wanted for anything. I had a supportive family and was able to get a good education and pursue my dreams. I wasn't spoiled or rich or handed everything on a silver platter, but I can still acknowledge how privileged I have been.




What did you learn from reading my blog posts? Would you tackle this challenge? What will YOU do to fight hunger, poverty, and injustice?

Here's where you can start! Click here to donate to the Berkeley Cares Live Below the Line Team.






  Disclaimer: These are my personal opinions and do not reflect the views of Berkeley College.  

No comments:

Post a Comment